Pan-seared pot roast, baby red potatoes, and sweet carrots slow-cooked in a delicious gravy until fall-apart tender, Enjoy! Servings: 8
- 1 lb. baby red potatoes
- 1 lb. carrots peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 3 lb. chuck roast
- 2 tsp. kosher salt divided
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ c. diced yellow onions
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 T. balsamic vinegar
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 3 T. unsalted butter
- 3 T. all-purpose flour
- 1 T. soy sauce
- 1 ½ c. beef stock
- 1 tsp. chopped parsley for garnish
- Add potatoes, carrots, and thyme to the slow cooker.
- Pat dry the chuck roast with a paper towel. In a small bowl, combine 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper; evenly season all sides of the roast.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, once hot, add the beef to the pan. Sear the until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to the slow cooker and reserve the pan and drippings.
- Heat pan to medium and add onions, sauté until lightly golden and tender, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add balsamic vinegar and sauté until reduced and coats the onions, about 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste, stir and cook for 1 minute. Transfer onion mixture to the slow cooker.
- Heat pan over medium-high heat, add butter and flour, whisk to combine, cook for 30 seconds.
- Gradually add beef stock, vigorously whisking to create a smooth and lightly thickened sauce, about 1 to 2 minutes. The liquid should be near a boil to thicken, increase the heat if needed once all of the stock is added.
- Add soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the sauce, taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Add sauce to the slow cooker.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours or LOW for 7 to 8 hours.
- Carefully remove the roast to a cutting board and cut into slices. Serve with vegetables, gravy, and garnish with parsley.