- I cup packed brown sugar ( diabetic use twins or splenda brown sugar )
- ½ cup butter ( diabetic use margarine )
- 2 tubes ( 12-oz each ) refrigerated flaky buttermilk biscuits
- ½ cup sugar ( diabetic use sugar substitute )
- 1 tbs. ground cinnamon
- 1 package ( 8-oz ) 1/3 less fat cream cheese, cut into 20 cubes
- 1 ½ cups chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven at 350.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat brown sugar and butter on high for 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved; set aside.
- Flatten each biscuit into a 3-inch circle. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle ½ teaspoon in the center of each biscuit. Top with a cream cheese cube. Fold ; pinch edges to seal tightly.
- Sprinkle ½ cup walnuts into a 10-inch fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the biscuits, cinnamon-sugar and butter mixture and ½ walnuts. Repeat layers.
- Bake at 350 for 40 – 45 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately invert onto a serving platter. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yields: 1 loaf.
- Serving size: 1 slice
- Diabetic Nutrition Values: Calories per serving: 378, Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 38mg, Carbohydrate: 42g, Sodium: 340mg
- Note: This recipe can also be made with garlic and cheese that can be serve at dinner time.