- 1 1/2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly-brewed coffee, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream, optional
In a large bowl of mixer, beat softened cream cheese and butter for 2-4 minutes, scraping down the side of the bowl occasionally, until fluffy and fully incorporated.
Place cocoa powder, powdered sugar, espresso powder and salt in a sieve and sift dry ingredients into cream cheese and butter mixture, then pour in vanilla extract.
Beat mixture until sugar and cocoa powder are fully combined and mixture is smooth.
Start by pouring in 1 tablespoon coffee, then heavy cream, if desired, then mix until smooth.
Place in a piping bag or spread directly on cake or cupcakes. Enjoy!