This Sugar Cookie Recipe is the only cut out cookie recipe I use. I have been baking these cookies for years and have found it be the most delicious and foolproof cut out cookie recipe ever!
- 2 cups (4 sticks) cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups all purpose flour
Sugar Cookie Icing:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
To Make the Cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter and sugar together on medium speed for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla, baking powder, and salt and continue mixing until combined and smooth, scraping the sides of bowl as necessary.
- Turn the mixer speed to low and add in the flour, mixing until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough into 3 sections and on a floured working surface roll the dough to 1/3 inch thick. Using a cookie cutter, cut out shapes of the dough with your desired cutter(s) and place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet 1½ inches apart. If you are baking in batches, keep the unused dough in the refrigerator until ready to use to prevent dough from getting too warm.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes until the edges are lightly golden. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Sugar Cookie Icing
- In a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, water, and corn syrup until smooth.
- Spread or pipe onto cooled cookies. You can use a drop of food coloring to achieve different colors. Allow the icing to set up completely before storing.
- You can chill the dough if desired, before or after cutting the cookies out. See tips in the post for all the details.
- Store airtight at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Nutrition Information:1 cookie without icing32316.8 g58.4 mg16.1 g41.2 g3.9 g56.2 mg