Makes 6 servings
Each serving contains:
10g total fat
1 pound lean ground turkey
½ pound lean turkey sausage, casing removed and crumbled
3 green onions, finely chopped
1 celery rib, finely chopped
1 medium zucchini, finely grated
1 garlic clove, crushed through a press
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons soy sauce
3 ripe tomatoes, cut crosswise into ½ inch slices
6 Boston lettuce leaves, washed and drained
1. Combine the turkey, sausage, green onions, celery, zucchini, garlic, oregano, ½ teaspoon pepper, and soy sauce in a bowl and mix gently. With wet hands, shape into 6 (½ inch thick) patties.
2. Prepare a grill for barbecuing or preheat the broiler and place the burgers on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Grill or broil the burgers 4 inches from the heat source until cooked through, 8 to minutes, turning after 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 3 minutes.
3. Place the tomatoes on the grill or baking sheet and grill or broil until charred and hot, 5 minutes, turning once and sprinkling with the remaining ½ teaspoon pepper.
4. Place the lettuce leaves on dinner plates and top each with a burger. Top each burger with a tomato slice.
5. Serve with roasted potato wedges.