- Pie crust:
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter cubed
- 3-4 tbsp ice water
- 1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans toasted pecans
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 15 chewy caramel candies like Kraft original, about 115g
- 3 tablespoons cream
- 2 cups pure pumpkin puree
- 1 1/4 cups evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar 150g
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- Whipped cream for topping as desired
Pie crustCombine flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Cut in cold butter with a pastry cutter (or use your hands!) until crumbly. Stir in 2-3 tbsp ice water and mix with your hands until dough comes together in a ball, adding in additional ice water if necessary.
Form in a disc and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or more.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out dough to larger than the pie plate you’re baking it in. Place in pie plate, press down and trim the edges.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and set aside to cool completely.
FillingSprinkle pecans and chocolate chips into the bottom of the cooled pie crust.
In a small bowl, combine caramels and cream. Microwave on high in 15-20 second intervals, stirring well each time, until melted and smooth. Pour into the crust. Set aside.
In a large pot or skillet, whisk together the pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs, corn starch, cinnamon and nutmeg until combined. Place over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened and bubbling slightly, about 7-9 minutes. Pour over caramel in crust and refrigerate until set completely, at least 4 hours.
Top with whipped cream and serve, or cover and continue refrigerating to serve later. This pie is best served within 24-48 hours.