[Photograph: Carrie Vasios Mullins]
These easy vegan muffins pair chocolate and coffee to maximize flavor.
Why this recipe works
- Without butter or eggs, this is a dense, almost fudgy muffin, but if you’re down with that texture, you’ll like these.
- Using a combination of strong freshly brewed coffee and instant espresso powder doubles the coffee flavor
Read more: Wake and Bake: Vegan Chocolate-Coffee Muffins
- Yield:makes 12 muffins
- Total time:35 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips or vegan chocolate, chopped
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tin with paper liners.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, sugar, and instant espresso powder until combined. Stir in coffee, vanilla, and vinegar until batter is formed. Stir in chocolate chips or chunks. Fill each muffin tin 3/4 way full with batter. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean, about 18 minutes. Transfer muffins to a wire rack to finish cooling.
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Serious Eats. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.