“This delicate, rich dessert is based on a recipe my grandma often made. When I was a child it was my favorite dessert, and I requested it on a regular basis! The original recipe was packed with eggs and heavy cream. Here’s a fail-safe vegan version that faithfully reproduces the taste of Grandma’s holiday time specialty. Served in tiny espresso cups, it provides an elegant ending to any festive meal. Plus, you can make it the day before serving if you wish—always a bonus when entertaining.” — Laura Theodore
- 3⁄4 cup vanilla nondairy milk
- 12 ounces soft regular or silken tofu, drained and cubed
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- Heat the nondairy milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until steaming hot but not boiling.
- Put the tofu and brown sugar in a blender, then add the chocolate chips. Pour in the nondairy milk and process until completely smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into tiny dessert bowls or espresso cups and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours. Serve chilled.