- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 stalk celery sliced
- 2 cups cooked beef
- 6 cups reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes 14-15 oz, undrained
- ½ green pepper diced
- ⅔ cup barley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme1 package beef gravy mix
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons red wine optional
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried
- salt & pepper to taste
Cook onions and garlic in oil over medium heat until softened.
Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered about 40-50 minutes or until barley is cooked.
Remove bay leaf and serve.