- 3/4 cup or 175 g softened butter
- 3/4 cup or 175 ml milk
- 1 1/2 cups or 290 g regular sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup or 100 g Plain / All purpose flour, sieved
- 1 cup or 100 g Ground Almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Cup or 180 g Canned or Glace Cherries, halved
- 2 Tablespoons Flaked Almonds
- 4 Tablespoons Cherries, roughly chopped or halved
THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 8 Tablespoons Butter, room temperature
- 1/2 Cup or 100 g Powdered / Icing Sugar
- 16 oz or 500 g Full-fat Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 4 Drops of Vanilla Extract
Preheat the oven to 180 C 350 F Grease an 8in square cake tin and line the base with baking parchment.
Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
In a separate bowl, thoroughly combine the flour, almonds, salt and baking powder. Add half of this to the egg mixture, along with the almond extract and half of the milk, and fold in. Then repeat with the remaining half of the flour mixture and then remaining mik. Finally, lightly coat the cherries with a tablespoon of flour then dust off and combine to the cake batter.
Spoon the batter into the prepared cake tin and smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
Bake for 35 minutes, or until the cake is golden-brown. Leave in the tin to cool for five minutes, then remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Add all the ingredients to a bowl and whisk until combined and smooth.
Spread the frosting over the cake once the cake has completely cooled.
Sprinkle the almond flakes and chopped cherries on top of the frosting and a light dusting of powdered sugar if desired.