Back to Top
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 pan skillet cornbread
- 12 ounce package herb seasoned classic stuffing
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3-4 cups chicken broth
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- non stick cooking spray
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper and add to a deep skillet or heavy pan with olive oil. Cook on both sides until browned, about 8- 10 minutes.
- Add water, celery and garlic cloves and bring to a boil.
- Lower to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a plate to cool slightly. Remove skin and bones and shred or roughly chop chicken. Set broth aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Crumble baked cornbread into a large bowl, add seasoned stuffing crumbs.
- Add butter to a skillet and melt over medium heat. Add onions and celery, cook until softened. Stir in cream and mix well.
- Pour onion mixture over cornbread mixture and add chicken.
- Mix 2 cups of reserved broth with 2 beaten eggs, pour over dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Add more broth 1/2 cup at a time until well moistened but not runny.
- Add garlic, sage, rosemary, salt and pepper and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour mixture into a well greased 9 x 13 baking dish, spreading evenly.
- Cover with foil and bake 1 hour. Remove foil and bake another 30 minutes or until top and edges are browned.