Remember Chicken Gloria? It’s pretty much the quintessential vintage creamy chicken and mushroom casserole. It’s a Betty Crocker recipe that’s decades old, so you might remember your mom or even your grandma making it. The chicken bakes in a creamy sauce that’s punctuated with a kick of sherry, and it’s absolutely perfect served over tender egg noodles. And like all great casseroles, it’s a cinch to make.
… and then browning them quickly in a pan. You don’t need to cook them through here, that will happen in the oven later.
After the chicken comes out, mushrooms and butter hop in and cook until they’re fragrant and soft.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup sherry wine
- 1 (18 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 6 slices Swiss or Muenster cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and set aside a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper on both sides. Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Once hot, brown the chicken on both sides. (You don’t need to cook it all the way through; it will finish cooking in the oven.) Transfer chicken to baking dish.
- Add butter to skillet and increase heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Let cook until golden brown. Stir in sherry, and cook 1 to 2 minutes more. Stir in soup, mixing well, and cook until heated through.
- Pour sauce over chicken and top with cheese slices.
- Cover dish with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and turn oven to broil. Broil until cheese has browned, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Let sit 5 minutes before serving. Top with parsley and serve. Enjoy!