Back to Top
- 5/8 cup sugar (10 tbsp)
- 4 tablespoons water
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 7 ounces milk
- 8 ounces cream
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 pods cardamom
- 2 tablespoons of instant coffee (dissolved in a tablespoon of water)
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Pre-heat your oven to 315 degrees F
- Heat a pan over medium heat and mix the water and sugar in the pan together. Stir constantly as the mixture turns brown. Remove the pan from the heat when it reaches a golden color.
- Fill the aluminum cups with about a tablespoon of the caramel mixture.
- Heat a pan under medium heat and add the cream and milk to the pan. Add the vanilla essence, coffee mixture, cinnamon stick, pods, and the condensed milk to the pan.
- Wait until everything comes to a boil and then remove the pan from the heat. Leave it on the side so the flavors mix together.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl Add the coffee sauce mixture a little at a time and stir it well each time.
- Sieve the mixture into another saucepan and stir the mixture with a whisk as the liquid drips into the pan.
- Line a roasting tray with a tea towel. The tea towel will stabilize the cups and make sure they still in place.
- Pour the mixture into a tall jug or container and pour it into the metal cups. Leave about a centimeter at the top of each cup.
- Add and cover about a third of the roasting tray with hot water.
- Place the roasting tray in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Carefully shake them afterward to see if they have set.
- Remove them from the oven and remove the metal cups from the tray for cooling.
- Throw out the water and discard the towel from the tray and place the cups back in. Place the tray in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- Wait until the flans have thoroughly chilled. Take a knife and carefully go around the edges of each flan.
- Remove the flans from the cups by turning them over on plates and lightly press down on them to ease out the flan.