Shortcut this recipe by draining off the excess liquid from the top of the can and baking for 30 minutes.
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Bush’s Baked Beans, original recipe preferred
- five to six slices of bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, diced finely
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mustard powder (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Have a two-quart casserole at the ready.
In a large pot or Dutch oven, add the bacon, onion, and water. Cook, stirring often until bacon is rendered (but not crisp) and onion nearly tender, and all water evaporated. Add in beans, brown sugar to taste, ketchup, mustard powder, molasses, and apple cider vinegar. Stir and bring to a boil. Add ginger, if desired.
Place beans in casserole, place in oven and bake about 1 hour, uncovered until top has darkened but isn’t burned, watch it at the end, and beans are bubbling and piping hot. Remove and let sit for several minutes before serving.
- If you don’t have brown sugar on hand, just add white sugar and a 1/2 teaspoon more molasses.
- Beans will thicken as they cool and become quite thick if refrigerated. Reheat with a little water, if desired.