2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups baking flour
1 cup of butter
1 cup strong black coffee
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup buttermilk
the chocolate icing :
1/4 cup butter
4 tablespoons of buttermilk
3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
the turtle filling :
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup caramel sauce, to baste
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour the pan or use parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix the baking flour and granulated sugar. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan, combine 1 cup of butter, 1 cup of coffee and 1/3 cup of cocoa. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour into prepared dry ingredients. Using a hand mixer, stir at medium speed until dry and wet ingredients are well blended. Add the eggs and 1/2 cup buttermilk. Blend on medium speed for about one minute longer until well blended.
3. Pour into the pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. When the cake is done, a toothpick or fork inserted in the middle of the cake should come out clean.
4. Prepare frosting. In a medium saucepan, mix 1/4 cup butter, 4 tablespoons buttermilk and 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
5. Remove from heat and use a whisk to gradually stir in the powdered sugar, half a cup at a time.
6. Spread or pour hot icing over the cake. While the cake is still warm, sprinkle with chopped pecans and chocolate chips. Drizzle with caramel sauce.