FOR THE FRUIT:
- 2 cups rhubarb, cut into 3/4″ pieces
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and cut into 3/4″ pieces
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- pinch of salt
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon (75 grams) certified gluten-free oat flour*
- 1 1/4 cups (115 grams) certified gluten-free rolled oats
- 2/3 cup (132 grams) light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup (149 grams) butter or 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon (126 grams) coconut oil**, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 1-quart, 8″x8″ or another similar sized baking dish.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, almond extract, vanilla extract, cornstarch and salt.
Add the chopped fruit and stir to coat in the mixture. Let sit for at least 10 minutes while preparing the topping.
In another large mixing bowl, stir together the oat flour, oats, brown sugar, melted butter or coconut oil and salt until well combined.
Spoon the fruit mixture into the pan and top with the topping. Place the dish on a baking sheet to catch any spills.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the topping is firm and the fruit is bubbling. The topping will appear to be quite runny around 25-30 minutes but firms up in the last 10-15 minutes of baking. The filling may also appear runny while warm but thickens as it cools.
Let cool for 30 minutes and serve warm or room temperature. Cover and store at room temperature for up to 2 days.