Prep Time: 20m Cook Time: 1h 15m Total Time: 1h 35m
- 1 pound bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
- 3 pounds yukon gold potatoes (thinly sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 tablespoons butter thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, divided
- 2 1/2 cups (10 ounces) Gruyere Cheese shredded, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (298g) whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook bacon until crispy. Once cooled, chop into small pieces.
- Slice potatoes using a mandolin for uniformity. Be careful to keep the shape of the potato. When using a mandolin, it is best to slice right onto the cutting board. Set aside.
- Layer butter at bottom of cast iron pan.
- Carefully set the potato slices (trying to keep the shape of potato together) on top of the butter.
- Remove thyme leaves from stem. Use half on potatoes, reserve remaining for on top after done cooking.
- Top with the minced garlic, salt, pepper, 2 cups of the cheese (reserve 1/2 cup of cheese for later), and chopped bacon.
- Pour cream over the top of the dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove dish from oven and remove foil. Add the final 1/2 cup of cheese and return to oven. Bake for an additional 30-40 minutes or until potatoes are tender and top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and add remaining thyme. Serve immediately.