- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- Pre-baked (light brown) 8 inch pie crust, cooled
- Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the butter and sugar until well blended. Add the egg yolks and beat until combined. Blend in the flour, lemon juice, nutmeg, and salt. Slowly pour in the buttermilk, mix until well blended.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Fold about 1/4 cup of the buttermilk mixture into the egg whites, then fold the egg whites into the remaining buttermilk mixture until just combined. The mixture will be lumpy.
- Pour the filling into the baked pie shell. Bake until the filling is lightly brown and only slightly jiggles; 40 to 45 minutes. If the edges of the crust start to get too dark before the filling is done, cover the edges of the crust with foil. Place on a rack and let cool to room temperature. Serve at room temperature or let chill in fridge for 2 hours to serve chilled. Refrigerate any leftovers.