This delicious Chicken and Dumpling has always been my comfort food since I was a little kid! My Grandma used to cook this all the time. I am so grateful to her for teaching me this recipe because now, I get to share it with you as well! Serve this dish on a rainy day and you have yourself a meal to remember! Anyway, I have listed all the ingredients and directions so all you have to do is to follow them step by step and you are good to go! Have a blessed day, friends, and I hope you are all well today. Enjoy!
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2-3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 medium chicken, whole
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- water, enough to boil and for broth
- Place a large pot with water on the stove and turn the heat to medium.
- Add the whole chicken, salt, and pepper. Allow the water to boil and cook the chicken for about an hour.
- Remove the chicken from the pot. Discard the skin and debone.
- Add baking powder, 1 cup of water, flour, shortening, and salt into a mixing bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Sprinkle flour onto a flat surface and place the dough on it. Knead the dough until thin.
- Slice the thin dough into 3-inches long.
- Add the dough slices into the pot with the chicken broth. Cook for 20 minutes or until done. Make sure to stir from time to time.
- Put the chicken back to the pot, then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Feel free to add a bouillon cube for extra flavour.