“Plan ahead the dressing needs to chill for at least 2 or more hours before using, all amounts may be adjusted to taste”
- 1 cup oil (extra-virgin olive oil)
- 1 to 2 whole lemons (juice of 1 to 2 lemons, no bottled for this, if you like your dressing lemony then use 2 small lemons)
- 1 teaspoon mustard (Dijon mustard)
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 to 4 teaspoons dried oregano (preferably Greek oregano)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 romaine lettuce (outer leaves removed)
- 2 tomatoes, large (firm ripe Roma tomatoes, chopped)
- 1 cucumber (English, peeled, seeded and chopped)
- 1 onion (medium red onion, sliced)
- 1 bell pepper, green (seeded and chopped or sliced)
- 1/2 pound feta cheese (crumbled or diced)
- 1 cup olives, kalamata
For dressing; in a processor or using a whisk process/blend all dressing ingredients until smooth starting with 2 teaspoons oregano and wine vinegar adding in more after to suit taste, then season with more black pepper if needed.
Refrigerate prepared salad for at least 1 hour or more before using to blend the flavors.
For the salad; Combine/mix all salad ingredients in a large bowl; pour the dressing over and gently toss to combine (you may not want to use all the dressing so start with 1/2 cup of dressing and add in more if desired).
Top with more feta cheese if desired.
Refrigerate for 1 hour or let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving (this will allow the flavors to blend).
- Serving Size: 1 (335.9 g)
- Calories 502.5
- Total Fat – 45.8 g
- Saturated Fat – 9.7 g
- Cholesterol – 21.2 mg
- Sodium – 657.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate – 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber – 4.5 g
- Sugars – 6.3 g
- Protein – 12.8 g
- Calcium – 413.8 mg
- Iron – 2.1 mg
- Vitamin C – 37.4 mg
- Thiamin – 0.1 mg