- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes undrained
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt:½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 lasagna noodles broken
- 1 ½ cups fresh spinach chopped
- toppings as desired see notes for options
Cook sausage, onion, and garlic over medium-high heat until no pink remain. Drain any fat.
Add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, beef broth, green pepper, seasonings, and 1 cup of water.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
Break lasagna into pieces and add to the simmering soup. Simmer covered for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
Remove from heat, stir in spinach and let soup rest 5 minutes.
Spoon into bowls and top as desired.
Optional Toppings: Ricotta cheese, Mozzarella Cheese, Ricotta Cheese, Parmesan Cheese, fresh basil, and parsley.
Pasta can soften or become soggy in soups if left too long. If preparing ahead of time, cook the soup but don’t add the pasta. Pasta can be added as the soup is reheated.
Italian Sausage adds great flavor but you can use any ground meat and add a bit more Italian seasoning and salt.
Fresh spinach can be substituted with kale (which will need to cook a bit longer) or frozen spinach.