Makes 10 servings
1/2 lean, 2 greens, 3 condiments
2 cups (17.36 oz) Cheese, Ricotta Part-Skim
1 cup (4 oz) Cheese, mozzarella, reduced fat
21 oz Turkey, ground, 95-97% lean (raw) ~Yields 12 oz cooked
4 cups (33.84 oz) Cooked Tomatoes, canned
2 cups (5.08 oz) Raw Mushrooms, Brown
1 cup (5.26 oz) Raw Peppers, Green
1 cup (5.26 oz) Raw Peppers, Red
2 cups (5.26 oz) Raw Peppers, Yellow
1 tsp Bay Leaf
2 Tbsp fresh Parsley
1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
2 cloves Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Raw Onion
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp ground Basil
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
1 Tbsp Italian Seasonings
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Oregano, ground
1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
1/2 cup (8 tbsp) Parmesan Cheese
To Make Meat Sauce:
1. In a large non-stick sauce pan over medium-high heat, brown ground turkey with onion, minced garlic, and garlic salt. Drain excess grease.
2. To the sauce pan, add tomatoes. Mash the tomatoes into meat until they are crushed and broken up.
3. To the sauce pan, mix in tomato paste, mushrooms, oregano, basil, parsley, bay leaf, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, and red pepper flakes.
4. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered – 30 minutes.
To Make Peppers:
1. Preheat oven to 400° Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Slice bell peppers in half lengthwise and remove ribs and seeds. Place pepper halves on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
3. Remove peppers from oven. Fill each pepper with ¼ cup tomato meat sauce.
4. Spoon 2 Tbsp. of ricotta cheese on top of the meat sauce in each pepper cup. Pour an additional 1 Tbsp. meat sauce on top of the ricotta cheese.
5. Top each pepper with 2 Tbsp. mozzarella cheese. Bake for 12 minutes.
6. Remove peppers from oven. Top each pepper with 1 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of Italian seasoning. Bake 5 additional minutes.