My Gram used to make this buttery lazy Daisy cake. It was a favorite of ours as children, and we still enjoy it today. I have Gram’s recipe. You can find other versions of this cake on the site under different names, but Gram calls it this…I love the coconut topping…Yum! We hope you enjoy the cake as much as us…
Cook time: 35 Min
Prep time: 15 Min
Serves: 12 – 15
2 c ap flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp butter
1 c milk
4 eggs – room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
2 c sugar
9 Tbsp butter – melted
3/4 c packed, light brown sugar
6 Tbsp evaporated milk
1 1/2 c shredded coconut
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 13×9 inch pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
3. In a medium saucepan, heat the butter and milk on medium heat until the butter is melted. Add the vanilla.
4. Use an electric mixer at medium-high speed to beat the eggs and sugar until they are pale and creamy, approximately 6 minutes.
5. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the flour mixture.
6. Bake the batter in the prepared pan for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the batter to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. The broiler should be heated.
7. Topping: In a medium bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar and evaporated milk.
8. Sprinkle the topping evenly on top of the cake. Broil for 3-4 minutes or until topping bubbles and begins to brown. Serve warm.
9. The cake can be kept at room temperature up to 4 days. Serve in the microwave.