Back to Top
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 10 slices orange American cheese
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 3 cups large elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (not authentic to cruise)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, melt butter on medium. Add flour and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly until it forms a roux.
- Heat milk in microwave just until hot then slowly whisk it into the roux. Simmer 10 minutes until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add sliced cheese and yellow mustard. Blend well until cheese has melted. Do not boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate pot, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well and rinse under cold water.
- Mix cooked pasta with cheese sauce, stirring well to coat. Pour into a casserole baking dish and sprinkle top with remaining grated cheddar cheese.
- Broil in oven until cheese melts and top is lightly browned. ( Next time we won’t put cheese on top and broil, just add a little more cheese to mixture)
- SERVE WARM