Nutella Stuffed Double Chocolate Muffins – Deliciously moist and fluffy chocolate muffins that are studded with chocolate chips and have irresistibly gooey Nutella centres. The BEST easy chocolate muffin recipe!
- 2 and 1/2 cups (312g) plain/all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (150g) caster/granulated sugar
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk*
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (175g) chocolate chips
- 12 teaspoons Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Line a 12-hole muffin pan with muffin cases, and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until thick and lighter in colour. Add the buttermilk, oil, and vanilla, and whisk until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients in thirds and fold in until just combined – do not overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips. The mixture will be thick and somewhat lumpy.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cases, filling only half way. Spoon 1 teaspoon of Nutella into the centres, then top with the remaining batter.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted just off centre (to avoid Nutella) comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 – 10 minutes in the pan before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
*To make your own buttermilk, simply add 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice or white vinegar to 1 cup (240ml) of milk. Stir to combine, and allow to sit for 5 – 10 minutes until slightly thickened and curdled.
Muffins stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. They also freeze well for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.