Back to Top
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Grated cheddar or Monterey jack cheese (optional)
- Add onion, peppers, garlic, ground beef, dry mustard, chili powder, salt and pepper in a skillet with olive oil. Sauté until ground beef is browned and stirring as it cooks to ensure beef is broken up.
- Add rice and tomato paste and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes and juice, water, and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 20 minutes, covered.
- Remove lid after 20 minutes and fluff with fork. If mixture is soupy or wet cook for an additional 2 minutes uncovered.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese if desired.