• 4 ½ cups chicken broth
• 2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 pound ground beef
• 1 pound ground pork sausage
• 1 medium onion chopped
• 1 rib celery chopped
• 1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped
• ½ cup finely minced chicken livers (optional)
• 2 cloves garlic minced
• 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
• 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
• 2 green onions finely sliced
• Salt and pepper to taste
Bring 4 cups chicken broth to a boil in a large pot. Add the rice and bay leaf. Stir to combine letting it return to a boil. Turn it to simmer, cover and cook until the rice is tender; about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it sit covered for a few minutes. Fluff with a fork and remove the bay leaf.
Brown the ground beef and pork sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. When it is about halfway through the browning process add the onions, celery, green pepper, and chicken livers (if using) cooking until the vegetables are tender.
Reduce the heat to low and add the garlic cooking for 1 minute while stirring constantly. Stir in the Cajun seasoning, 1 /2 cup chicken broth, and rice. Add the chopped parsley, green onions, and season with salt and pepper to taste.