How To Make Quick and Easy Flaky Pastry. Simple to follow instructions, great for pies, strudels, turnovers, and freezer friendly too!
- 3/4 cup or 175 g butter at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups or 225 g Plain / All purpose flour, sieved
- pinch of salt
- 1/4-1/2 cup or 100 ml of cold water
- 2 tablespoons sugar if making a sweet dish.
- Mix the sieved flour and salt in a bowl. (add sugar if using)
- Weigh out the butter and divide into 4 amounts.
- Add one portion of the butter to the flour and using a round bladed knife, incorporate the butter and flour, whilst slowly adding enough cold water until the mixture comes together to form an elastic dough.
- Dust the rolling surface with flour, and turn the dough out. Roll out the dough into a rectangle shape (see photo) and keep rolling, adding more flour if necessary to stop from sticking, until the dough is about 4 mm thickness.
- Rub any excess flour from the surface and using the next portion of butter, dot the butter (about 1 cm dots) on two thirds of the rolled out pastry evenly. (see photo).
- Fold the pastry into three portions, bringing the end without butter to the centre, then folding down the other third. (see photo)
- Press together pastry edges with your fingers, give the pastry half a turn and roll out lightly again until the pastry is 4 mm thick (same size before you dotted with butter).
- Repeat steps 5 – 7 twice more, then fold into three, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.