The technique of making cauliflower steaks became fashionable some time ago in Anglo-Saxon social networks, and it is straightforward to do. It consists of cutting the cauliflower into slices to be in the shape of steaks and roasting them in the oven. The vegetables thus cooked gain in flavor, as is the case of this roasted cauliflower steak with garlic sauce, which surprises everyone with its peculiar taste and texture.
This preparation is perfect for vegans or those who want to prepare a surprising dish that does not need meat protein. Cauliflower is an ideal vegetable, rich in flavor and nutrients, often overshadowed by broccoli, another very similar vegetable. It can be served in a thousand ways: in salads, as a garnish, mashed, or in pancakes, suitable for those children who are not too enthusiastic about vegetables.
If included regularly in the diet, cauliflower brings many benefits to the body. In recent studies, it was found that the compound sulforaphane (of which cauliflower has a high content) can kill cancer cells; in addition, this same compound improves both kidney function and blood pressure levels. Cauliflower is also an essential source of vitamins C and K, protein, and minerals such as potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, and folic and pantothenic acids, thiam niacin, and riboflavin.
- 1 large cauliflower
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Provencal herbs
- Fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200° C.
- Wash the cauliflower well and dry carefully.
- Remove the leaves and cut the base of the stem a little, trying not to damage it.
- Use a good knife to cut the fillets, starting from the top. The fillets should be thick. The parts more separated from the center may come off (try as much as possible to get three or four fillets).
- In a frying pan or skillet, put a trickle of olive oil and cook the cauliflower steaks over high heat (about 4 minutes per side) until they are well browned.
- Halfway through the cooking season with salt and pepper.
- When the cauliflower steaks are “sealed” on both sides, transfer them to a baking tray.
- Season with a bit of oil, Provencal herbs, and parsley, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- For the garlic sauce: crush the garlic and lemon in a blender.
- Add the egg, salt, and pepper and continue blending.
- Add the oil in a trickle, little by little, until the desired texture is achieved.
- Serve the roasted cauliflower steak with garlic sauce very hot, and accompany a garnish of fresh vegetables.