This Cheesy Sausage and Rice Recipe is easy to make in One Pot and is served casserole style! Use Italian, Chicken, or Ground sausage and add in some bell peppers for color and crunch!
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 11 oz. sausage, see notes
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 ¼ cups white long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 10.75 oz. cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- Note: This recipe is designed to allow you to prepare all of the casserole ingredients in one pot. Before you begin, refer to your rice package for the amount of liquid (we’ll use chicken broth) and cooking time. If preferred, cook the rice separately and skip the broth ingredient. You’ll need 3 +3/4 cups of cooked rice to combine with the other casserole ingredients. I use white long grain rice and the cooking times below work perfectly.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Slice the sausage into ½-inch thick slices and cook according to package instructions. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter and add the diced onions. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan along with the chicken broth. Run a silicone spatula along the bottom of the pot to lift the brown remanence from the sausage, which will give the dish more flavor.
- Bring to a boil and add the rice. Bring back to a boil and cover tightly.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and close the lid, don’t stir. It will release starch and make the rice stickier. Cook 5-10 more minutes. (Refer to package for total cooking time.)
- Turn off the heat and leave it covered. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Any rice left on the bottom will release during this time.
- Return to low heat. Add the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, and cheese. Stir to combine.
- Add the sausage, and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook until heated through. Remove from heat and serve!
I sliced pre-cooked chicken sausage which only requires about 3 minutes of searing time, but you can use any kind of sausage that you want.
Consider using unsalted butter and reduced sodium chicken broth/condensed soup if preferred.
Condensed cream of mushroom , cream of broccoli, cheddar cheese soup, or broccoli cheese soup can also be used.
Other types of rice may be used, refer to package for liquid measurements and cooking times as this will vary.
Other meat options include chicken, steak, ground beef, and ham.
Calories: 521kcal, Carbohydrates: 25g, Protein: 18g, Fat: 39g, Saturated Fat: 16g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 84mg, Sodium: 1227mg, Potassium: 438mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 1307IU, Vitamin C: 50mg, Calcium: 224mg, Iron: 2mg