• 10 oz package penne pasta (cooked, drained, rinsed – recommend coating with olive oil)
• 3 Tbsp butter (divided – 1 Tbsp & 2 Tbsp portions)
• 1 Tbsp garlic (minced)
• 1 lb shrimp (medium to large, peeled and deveined)
• 3 Tbsp parsley (fresh, chopped – divided 2 Tbsp & 1 Tbsp portions)
• 2 tsp dill
• 1 Tbsp lemon juice
• 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup chicken broth
• 1 cup milk
• 2 large tomatoes (chopped)
• 1/4 tsp each, salt & pepper (more to taste, if desired)
• 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese (shredded, divided – 1/2 cup portion & 1/4 cup portion)
• 1/2 cup Romano cheese (shredded)
• 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese (grated, divided – set aside 1 Tbsp of the 1/4 cup)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and coat your oven safe large frying pan or skillet with vegetable oil (about a tsp), then bring to a medium heat.
Melt the first portion of butter (1 Tbsp) and then add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds before adding the shrimp. Add the first portion of chopped parsley (2 Tbsp) and dill and continue to cook the shrimp until pink (3-4 minutes, about 2 minutes per side).
Remove the shrimp (slightly under cooked, as they will continue to cook when the dish is baked) to a plate and set aside.
Add the second portion (2 Tbsp) of butter to your frying pan or skillet and melt, stirring into the cooked juices from the shrimp. Add flour and whisk in the pan juices for 30 seconds to a minute, until all of the flour has been incorporated with the butter and begins to turn a golden color.
Add the chicken broth, then the milk and stir or whisk to combine. Add tomatoes and salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then add the first (1/2 cup) portion of Parmesan cheese and the Romano cheese. Stir until the cheese has begun to melt and the sauce is creamy, then add the first (1 Tbsp) portion of Mozzarella cheese.
Add about half of the cooked penne pasta, then more if there is plenty of sauce and room in your frying pan or skillet. Add a bit more of the chopped parsley (if desired) then add the cooked shrimp back into the frying pan or skillet. Stir to combine.
Top the creamy pasta dish with the remaining Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, as well as the remaining chopped parsley. Then transfer to the oven and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 8-10 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling around the edges of the pan.
If the top of the dish isn’t a nice golden color yet, you can broil it for 2-3 minutes (watching closely!) to finish it off with that lovely golden topping.