Benefits of red meat:
A good source of protein that helps build the body and muscles
Rich in vitamins and minerals such as iron, zinc and B vitamins
One of the main sources of vitamin B12
Damage to red meat:
It contains a high percentage of saturated fats, and an excess of it raises the level of harmful cholesterol, which increases the risk of heart disease and blood vessels.
It may cause bloating and constipation, especially since it does not contain fiber
Reducing red meat intake and increasing intake of whole grains, vegetables, or other protein sources is reported to be associated with a lower risk of death.
The best way to eat meat:
Often health recommendations recommend reducing meat intake in general, or refraining from eating red meat. But following healthy methods of choosing and cooking meat can avoid this juncture, or at least delay your arrival to the stage of deeming meat inappropriate food. Here’s what you can do to eat meat the healthy way:
Grilling and then boiling is the best way to cook, with a little salt and flavor enhanced with spices and herbs.
* Lean meat is always best, as meat fat is linked to diabetes and heart disease.
Venison is the best for being lean, followed by turkey breast, chicken breast and lean red meat.
* When buying minced meat, ask about the percentage of fat, and prioritize the low-fat quality.
* Add a little salt to the meat, and you can improve the taste by adding herbs and spices.
* Choosing a healthy cooking method reduces the harm of eating meat. Do not use too much oil in the stew, and the best way to cook meat is grilling, whether in the oven or on the grill, as well as boiling in water.
* When preparing meat for cooking, exclude as much fat as you can, especially chicken skin.
* Always make sure to have vegetables along with meat in the meal.
Ingredients:2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
2 teaspoons brown sugar
¼ teaspoon cornstarch
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
Combine all ingredients together in a Ziploc bag and seal tightly. Shake the ingredients in the ziploc bag so as all the ingredients can combine evenly.
Cover the sides of the steak with the seasoning generously and evenly, then allow it to sit for about 40 minutes, in order for the salt to penetrate through the surface and break down the muscle fibers to give softer and tender meat.
After you have grilled, and it comes out nice and hot, place the steak on it and allow to cook for 4-5 minutes, until it is browned and slightly charred.
Flip the steak over and allow to cook for an additional time of 5 minutes for medium rare, 7 minutes for medium rare, and 10 minutes for well done.