Texas Sheet Cake is a very rich, moist sheet cake is oozing with chocolatey goodness. This is perfect for serving to a crowd and is quick to put together. A true classic!
2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cups butter (1 stick) or margarine
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 6 Tablespoons milk
- 16 ounces (3 1/2 cups) powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Spray a 13×18 inch baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, water and cocoa together.
- Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Sift the sugar, flour, salt and baking soda together in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the cocoa mixture over the flour and stir in.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla and gently combine.
Pour into the greased pan and place in the middle of the oven. Bake for 15-18 minutes. The cake should “bounce” back when touched in the middle.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over the stove, or in a large bowl in the microwave. Stir in the cocoa and remove from the heat.
- Sift the powdered sugar into the cocoa, and mix in the milk, vanilla and pecans.
- Pour over the cake as soon as you remove it from the oven.
- Let cool completely before serving.