Step away from the canned sauce and give these homemade sloppy joes a try! They’re truly the best version of a childhood favorite!
- ▢1 Tbsp butter
- ▢1 tsp olive oil
- ▢1 lb. ground beef
- ▢1/3 green bell pepper, minced
- ▢1/2 large yellow onion, minced
- ▢3 cloves garlic, minced
- ▢1 Tbsp tomato paste
- ▢2/3 cup ketchup
- ▢1/3 cup water
- ▢1 Tbsp brown sugar (or less, if you prefer)
- ▢1 tsp yellow mustard
- ▢3/4 tsp chili powder
- ▢1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ▢1/2 tsp kosher salt
- ▢1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- ▢1/4 tsp black pepper
- ▢dash of hot sauce (optional)
- Heat butter and oil in large skillet over MED/MED-HIGH heat. Add beef and brown, breaking apart into crumbles as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Transfer to colander to drain.
- Add onion and bell pepper to same skillet and cook 2-3 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds or so, until fragrant. Add beef back to the skillet and add tomato paste. Stir well.
- Add ketchup, water, brown sugar, mustard, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt, red pepper flakes (if using), and black pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Cook over MED heat for 10-15 minutes, until mixture has thickened to your liking. Remove from heat and serve over toasted buns.