- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce or romaine lettuce chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 2 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen peas thawed
- 1/3 cup chopped red onions
- 6 hard-boiled eggs peeled and sliced
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- 6 slices crispy cooked bacon. chopped
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, honey, salt, and black pepper.
- In a large clear bowl or trifle dish, layer the iceberg lettuce (reserving about 2 cups), followed by the red onions, tomatoes, and green peas. Using the sliced eggs, position them on their sides while using any extra eggs and the reserved lettuce to hold them in position and finish filling the bowl.
- Spread the dressing over the top and smooth it to seal. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours up to overnight.
- Right before serving, garnish with shredded cheese, bacon, and, if desired, a few tomato wedges.
- Seven-layer salad is a large salad. It serves at least 12 people, so plan accordingly. Leftovers are delicious, and the salad holds up fairly well for about 48 hours.
- Spread the dressing to seal the salad. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate from 2 hours up to overnight.
- Any fresh sun-ripened tomato works in this recipe, including grape tomatoes and cherry tomatoes.
- Feel free to swap out any ingredient that you are not fond of or add layers for more texture and taste.
- Don’t add the bacon, shredded cheddar, or scallions until it is time to serve.
- For added flavor, sprinkle with a couple of tablespoons of freshly grated Parmesan Cheese.
- Seven Layer Salad serves very well without tossing it.
- For perfectly peeled eggs, bring a large pot of water to boil with a steamer basket. Carefully add the eggs and steam large eggs for 15 minutes. Plunge into ice-cold water.
- For added protein, add roasted turkey or smoked ham.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
Keywords: traditional seven layer salad, seven layer salad dressing, how to make a seven layer salad, seven layer pea salad, make ahead seven layer salad, layered salad, recipe for seven layer salad