This chocolate mousse cake is ideal for gatherings among adults; since it contains liquor, it is not advisable for children, although you can always reduce the amount of Baileys and cook the cream filling for a few more minutes to evaporate the alcohol as much as possible so that children can taste it. However, it is always more advisable when only adults are going to eat it.
Otherwise, this chocolate mousse cake with a sponge cake base is intense, both for its Baileys flavor and its chocolate intensity. Lovers of pure chocolate are in luck with a cake as accentuated as this one. In small portions, it can be an absolute pleasure. Take note of the ingredients that in Joanlori, we tell you the step-by-step of its elaboration.
For the sponge cake base:
- 3 eggs
- 50 grams of sugar (¼ cup)
- 1 tablespoon of pure cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon of caicena
- 75 grams of dark chocolate for desserts
- 1 tablespoon of water
For the chocolate mousse:
- 300 milliliters of whipping cream (1½ cups)
- 225 grams of dark dessert chocolate
- 90 milliliters Baileys (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
- To make this easy chocolate mousse cake, we will create two preparations: on the one hand, a sponge cake that will serve as a base and, on the other hand, a mousse. So first of all, let’s start with the chocolate cake. To do this, we are going to separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Next, we put the yolks in a bowl with the sugar and beat them (best with the help of an electric mixer) until they are thick and whitish.
- Add the spoonful of cornstarch and the cocoa powder and sift them on top of the yolks and the sugar. Mix.
- Melt the 75 g of chocolate in the microwave and add it to the eggs and sugar mixture, together with a tablespoon of water. Mix.
- Beat the egg whites stiff and add them little by little to the chocolate sponge cake mixture with encircling movements but integrating them well.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ºC and grease a mold, preferably a 20 cm diameter springform pan. Pour the chocolate cake mixture into it and bake with heat up and down for 15 minutes or until the cake is cooked inside. To do this, prick the center of the cake with a toothpick and if it comes out without dough remains, it is ready.
- Let the chocolate mousse cake base with sponge cake cool in the mold for a few minutes, carefully remove it from the mold, and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once the chocolate sponge cake is made, we get down to work with the mousse. To do this, put the cream and 225 g of chopped dark chocolate in a saucepan. Put on the heat and heat, stirring from time to time until the chocolate is completely melted. Add the Baileys, stir, and remove from the heat. Transfer the mixture to a giant bowl, let it cool, and keep it in the refrigerator until it is freezing.
- Once the mousse is well chilled, take it out of the refrigerator and beat it with an electric whisk until it mounts.
- Grease again the same mold in which we made the chocolate sponge cake (previously cleaned) and put the sponge cake back in. Then pour the chocolate and Baileys mousse into it, smoothing the surface well. Please put it back in the refrigerator and let it cool for about 3 hours.
- When it is time to serve, remove the chocolate mousse cake carefully and dust the surface with cocoa powder.
- Serve the chocolate mousse cake in small portions, as it is a consistent cake but with a vibrant liqueur flavor. This can be the perfect dessert after the main course, such as oriental style chicken wings and a starter of cream cheese roll with tomato and basil, for example.